Thursday, June 12, 2014

World Cup 2014 Links- Some awesome pre world cup things you will love

If you're like us (read: Joel) at Hammertime sports, you simply cannot get enough World Cup action. I've been frantically scouring the internet for snipits of world cup juice-I want to know what Timmy Howard ate for breakfast this morning, how Neymar perfects his dance moves, and of course what women the famous players are dating.I guess you could say the World Cup is kind of like my US weekly, my tabloid obsession, my Real Housewives of Who-Really-Cares. And I plan on sharing this with you over the next few weeks.

I'm also a sucker for sports stories BEHIND the sports, and some things stick with me. Like this:


Hammertime Sports is a collection of American Outlaws for sure, and We've already covered a few things you need to know about this year's US squad, but I'm not quite done.

Here are some required viewing items to get you primed and ready for the world cup. 


We'll start with this, in case you missed it: Tim Howard's beard. Its (very sadly) gone now. Still we might not be able to beat you in soccer, but we lets say I'm confident we could take you in a fight. 

 Jurgen Klinsman has created some controversy, but I believe. When I'm playing sports I frequently have a lot of "COME AND GET A TASTE" moments. Well, I believe he has his team fired up enough to pursue such a moment.You want to get rich? You want to get famous? Score goals. Win games.Cometh the hour, cometh the man. 

Looking for a player for player break down of your favorite team? Get to know your Men's US team here

     Found this animation of some of the most iconic World Cup goals. Kind of enchanting I think.


Landon Donovan is not going to the world cup, and I will miss the soccer player. I'll also miss having Landon the entertainer there. Landon's always been kind of a free spirit, and has occasionally done things I find hilarious. Like this commercial for a Mexican Lottery.

Soy Mexicano. 

Grantland's Men in Blazers series has been brilliant. In short: Cheeky Englishmen telling jokes and offering excellent Soccer commentary. View below. 



Certainly, as a married guy, it's weird to look at another married guy's wife. But what if that guy's wife (This is Bethany Dempsey, of  Clint Dempsey fame.) posed for SI in body paint? 

Wouldn't want to be rude

Lastly, before the cup has even started it already has a resounding image. This needs to be mentioned because for one thing I find this image to be inescapably powerful. Protests going on in Brazil will be the backdrop for the games. A starving country has spent an inordinate amount of money on these games, and this situation is one to keep an eye on in the background of all the glory. Hopefully some good can come from this exposure.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to post youtube videos in the comments! just copy and paste the link!