Friday, August 10, 2012

Final Fantasy II: The Running Back

Ok, I promise to talk about video games even less in this one!  Well, I may not even talk about them at all.  I have been thinking about doing an all sports video game blog, I will save the video game talk for then.  For now, on to this post!

Last week we at Hammertime Sports highlighted the top QBs for the year in fantasy football.  This week, we hit the ground running with the Running backs that you would be silly to pass up!  The RB position is one of the most coveted on fantasy football rosters, so listen up!  I will preface with saying that there are quite a few decent backs who can get you quality points each week you can get later in the draft.  Look at your league settings for scoring and determine your draft strategy based on that.

5) Matt Forte, Chicago Bears.  Daaaaaaa Bears! Forte is finally getting the money he has been wanting and Cutler FINALLY has a weapon at receiver that can pose as a threat for a defense, so he will not be the only focus for opponents on game day.  Had roughly 1,000 rushing yards and 500 rec yards in his injury plagued season, I look for a good year from the Bears go-to back

4) Adrian Peterson, Minnesota Vikings.  I understand he was hurt most of last year, but we talking about AP.  I know it was a bad injury, but we talking about AP.  Not Beanie Wells or Reggie Bush, but AP!  I know the image of Allen Iverson is in your head now, so let me replace it with AP!  Short of losing a leg, I am not sure anything will slow this guy down, injury or not.  What a great value pick for a mid-first round!

The Answer himself, "We talkin' 'bout AP!"

3) Arian Foster, Houston Texans.  I still think Schaub is an unproven quarterback.  Win something already!  Stop getting hurt!  This was a team that if they stay healthy probably goes to the NFC Championship and maybe the Superbowl.  If Schaub gets hurt again, which seems probably, that puts the man himself TJ Yates at the helm.  Consider that a guaranteed 100 yard game for Foster. Foster still plays with the UNDRAFTED chip on his shoulder, which I like.  If he can stay healthy, look for numbers better than last years totals of over 1,200 yards, almost 100 per game.    

Since my roommate is OBSESSED with this guy, here is a picture of TJ about to make out with another dude

2) Ray Rice, Baltimore Ravens.  He had the third most rushing attempts last season in the NFL, and I would bet that trend will continue.  Look for another solid season with over 1,300 rushing yards and probably around 14 touchdowns.  They can block for the run and are just dangerous enough to cover the pass.  Plus with that D stopping people all the time, there will be plenty of possession time.  

1) Maurice Jones-Drew, Jacksonville Jaguars.  Lets face it, he has been the only option there for 2 years and will be even more this season.  40 more rushing attempts than anyone else last season and 1,600 yards rushing.  Wow. He was also the only RB to average over 100 yards per game last year.  This guys good!

Other than MJ-D, the highlight of going to a game in Jacksonville

-Matt 

2 comments:

  1. I can't be on board with MJD as the top running back this year. Probably would have had Foster in that spot for the reasons you mentioned.

    MJD is STILL holding out for a bigger contract and it doesn't sound like they are any closer. Now these things always play out the same way, he'll end up signing. But Chris Johnson had a huge drop off last season after his hold out. Besides every other position in Jacksonville is an absolute mess.

    Also I would put LeSean McCoy of the Eagles and Darren Sproles from the Saints in my top five. Even more so in a PPR league.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought about McCoy. McCoy is solid, but I liked Forte just a little more here. Sproles is a great back, but there are too many backs wanting the ball and getting the ball for the Saints. If you have a league that factors in the return game, then he would be in the top 2! But unless the other guys change positions, I think he is still one of 3 backs.

    As for MJD, I have bet against him for 2 years now and he has come back to bite me each season, I will not let that happen again!

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to post youtube videos in the comments! just copy and paste the link!