Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Final Fantasy: QB Edition

Video game fans beware!  This is not a blog about Final Fantasy, the video game.  I actually never got into that game when I was younger.  I was more into the Nintendo 64 and games like Star Fox 64 and Super Smash Bros. (you know, the classics).  Even today, I would rather fire up the X-box over the PS3, but that is just me.  As a matter of fact, I am not really sure what exactly Final Fantasy consisted of.  I imagine it to be like a World of Warcraft, which I also never got in on, where you boss around a lot of wizards and gnomes and take them on a journey.  I am more of a 2K or FIFA or COD fan myself, and of course Halo was cool...but like I said, this is not about video games.

The real man's game, Fantasy Football, is upon us.  With most leagues being created now and drafts less than a month away, I figured I would combine two suggestions from Hammer Heads (aka fans of the blog) and rate the top 5 QBs to have this year in your fantasy league (thanks Travis and Joel for the idea, and congrats Trav on the engagement! Yayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy)

DISCLAIMER ALERT: Not every league has the same settings.  Some leagues may give more points to running QBs, in which case Mike Vick may be a wise choice.  Keep that in mind.

D-Wade and Lebron after a game winner against the Bobcats 
5) Cam Newton, Carolina Panthers.  He did things as a rookie that made even his college teammates shake their head.  He stood by his center when he made the claim of a super bowl win, and he will do his part to back that up this year.  Last year his QB rating was 84.5, completed 60% of his passes, was 10th in league in passing yards with over 4,000, and created an end zone celebration that has spread in popularity across all sports.  Oh, and he was second in the NFL (including running backs) in rushing TDs with 14, more than Adrian Peterosn, Ray Rice, Arian Foster, and MJD.  Also, 14 is more than DeAngelo Williams and Cedric Benson combined for last year.  If anyone is poised to overcome the traditional sophomore slump, it is Cam.  I mean seriously, the guy has his own Gatorade and Under Armour commercials.  Unstoppable.

4) Matthew Stafford, Detroit Lions.  No one in the NFL threw the ball more than this guy last season.  He was second in total completions, completed 63 % of his passes, and was one of 3 QBs to throw for over 5,000 yards.  He has more weapons this year, including Ryan Broyles from Oklahoma.  The Lions also improved their line in the draft to keep him from getting hurt.  Still think he is not good enough to be here at #4?  Remember, his running backs are better at catching the ball than running the ball and, of course, he is throwing to Megatron!  Here, I have video evidence to prove he is the man!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mf2LfAjhsvE

3) Drew Brees, New Orleans Saints.  Now that the contract has been signed and the dispute is over, we can get back to what he does best, throwing the football.  I have him at #3 because he does not have his coach on the sideline, which could help or hurt his numbers.  Still, he was second in passing attempts last year, first in completions, first in completion % at over 70 %, first in yards passing, first in TD passes, and first in yards per game.  With his huge deal under his belt, look out for DREW BREEEEEEESSSSSSS.

2) Tom Brady, New England Patriots.  Second in the league in passing yards last year behind Brees, and doing it with his tight ends!  I am not sure how to explain it, but he gets the job done.  Not only would I start this guy every week, but I would start any of his top 3 tight ends every week as well!  Oh, and don't forget, he threw for over 5,000 and had fewer INTs than anyone else on this list so far.  He was also second in passing yards per game with 327.

1) Aaron Rodgers, Green Bay Packers.  Was there really a question?  The guy that you would even consider starting during his bye week, Mr. Rodgers.  One of the most effective and precise passers in football, he had fewer INT's than anyone else on this list.  He had 45 TD passes last year, 1 behind leader Brees and a QB rating of over 122!  By far the best in the league!  He just gets the job done every week.  Consider him a lock and should be the first QB off the board in any fantasy league.

-Hammer

  

3 comments:

  1. I think a dark horse candidate you should consider is Peyton Manning. Last year, if healthy, he would have easily been in your top three. All reports are that Peyton looks good for the Broncos and if he returns to form (15-30 points a game in fantasy football) he could be a top QB and mid-round steal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also like Peyton. He has proven that he can put up big numbers with no name receivers before, but he always has someone like Reggie Wayne or Marvin Harrison. I want to give him at least a pre-season before I put him back up their again, but I will say this...I drafted him last year in the 3rd round in hopes he would come back because he is THAT good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Please notice the dates! I made these picks on Aug 2 and this writer for ESPN made his on Aug 7. I win! http://sports.espn.go.com/fantasy/football/ffl/story?page=NFLDK2K12ranksQB

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to post youtube videos in the comments! just copy and paste the link!